PhilosophyEach person views and experiences the world in their unique style. Appreciating individuality is essential to providing exceptional services in counseling, consulting, psychological assessment, and performance enhancement with clients, athletes, and teams. My fundamental belief is, “how we think affects how we feel and what we do each day”. Sometimes our experiences from the past, and/or present, affect our ability to function at a desired level and we struggle to complete daily tasks. This is the time to work collaboratively with a professional to help improve your thoughts, feelings, and behaviors to achieve peak performance in all areas of life.
Dr. Brian Monteleone has over 25 years of clinical, assessment, and consulting experience with children, adolescents, adults, families, and athletes. Dr. Monteleone owns a private practice in Charlotte, NC, Psychological Services of Charlotte, and has worked in a variety of clinical positions and settings during the past 25 years that include:
Clinical Director, Sensory Center
Sport Psychologist to high school, collegiate, and professional athletes, coaches, and teams
Clinical Coordinator for inpatient substance abuse and psychiatric hospitals
Clinical Director for a federally funded Juvenile Boot Camp Program
Program Coordinator for Adult Outpatient Substance Abuse Services
- Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology, Ball State University
- M.A. in Social Psychology, Ball State University
- B.A. in Psychology, University of Charleston
Licensure and Certification
- Licensed Psychologist – North Carolina (# 2846); HSPP
Publication and Research
- Lash, S., Burden, J., Monteleone, B., & Lehmann, L. (2004). Social reinforcement of substance abuse treatment aftercare participation: Impact on outcome. Addictive Behaviors, 29, 337-342.
- Monteleone, B. (2001). Cognitive-Affective Stress Management Training to Reduce Competitive Anxiety in Athletes. Manuscript.
- Barton, M., Dixon, D., & Monteleone, B. (1999). Training in managed care: Are counseling psychology programs making the grade? Manuscript.
- Monteleone, B. (1998, May). Effects of Home Audiences on College Baseball Pitchers. Manuscript.
- Expert Consultant; Sometimes the Rock Must Crumble by Jess A. Kuhl www.sometimestherockmustcrumble.com
- 27th Annual Cabarrus County Sports Medicine Symposium, 2016 “Common Psychological Issues in Athletes”
- Lash, S., Burden, J., Monteleone, B., & Lehmann, L. (2001). The impact of social reinforcement of substance abuse treatment aftercare participation on outcome: Aftercare Group Therapy Participation on Treatment Outcome. Poster presentation at 2002 meeting of Association for the Advancement of Behavior Therapy.
- Barton, M., Monteleone, B., & Dixon, D. (1999, August). Counseling psychology training in managed care and business strategies. Poster session presented at the annual meeting of the American Psychological Association, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Barton, M., Monteleone, B., & Dixon, D. (1999, April). Counseling psychology training in managed care and business strategies. Poster session presented at the annual meeting of the Great Lakes Regional Conference, Columbus, Ohio.
- Barton, M. & Monteleone, B. (1998, April). Training in managed care: Are counseling psychology programs meeting the challenge? Poster presentation at the Great Lakes Regional Conference, Bloomington, Indiana.
- Monteleone, B. (1998, May). Effects of Home Audiences on College Baseball Pitchers. Symposium presented at the 15th Annual National Conference on Counseling Athletes, Springfield, Massachusetts.
- Monteleone, B. (1996, March). Psychological and Behavioral Characteristics of a Stalker. Symposium presented at Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, Cleveland, OH.
- Doms, J., & Monteleone, B. (1994, August). Athletic Maturity and Career Identity. Poster session presented at the American Psychological Association Conference, Los Angeles, CA.
- Monteleone , B., & White, M. (1994, May). Social Facilitation Effects in College Baseball Pitchers: Throwing the Good Stuff. Poster session presented at the Mid-Western Psychological Association Conference, Chicago, Ill.
Major Media Contract
- "Lights, motion and music." Julianna Leachman, University City Magazine. August 2008: 46. Click Here for the Article
- Associate Producer, Tabula Rasa (1997) about Teen Suicide
- Autism & Sensory Treatment Click Here for the Video
- Choosing Well With: Brian & Patricia On Mental Health #1. Click Here for the Video
- Choosing Well With: Brian & Patricia On Mental Health #2. Click Here for the Video
Honors, Awards, and Professional Offices Held
- Member on Board of Directors for Freedom House (2002 to Present)
- NC Council Excellence Award – Jail Diversion Program (2001)
- National Association of Counties Achievement Award, Jail Diversion Program. (2002)
- Awarded the Rawlings Memorial Scholarship for Graduate Studies (1992)
- Recipient of Lyell Bussell Memorial Research Award for sport psychology research (1998)
Athletic Career and Accomplishments
- University of Charleston Male Athlete of the Year (1992)
- Four-year starter and letterman, Baseball (1988-1992)
- All West Virginia Intercollegiate Athletic All-Conference Selection, Baseball (1991)
Add to Honors, Awards
- Member, Board of Directors, Phoenix Counseling Center (2015-Present)